Back-to-school season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than a book about Iowa schools? Barb and Dave Else will be travelling across the state this fall for book signings featuring their book For All the Small Schools: A Photographic Pursuit of Iowa’s Forgotten Schools. Stop by for a chance to meet the authors and purchase their book:
- September 13, 10 a.m., Greene Public Library, 231 W. Traer, Greene
- October 18, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Tea & Craft Bazaar, at the Coggon Center, formerly the Coggon High School
- October 30, 7:00 p.m., Cedar Falls Public Library, 524 Main St., Cedar Falls
- November 8, 11 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., University Book and Supply, 1009 W. 23rd St., Cedar Falls
- November 15, 3:00 – 4:30 p.m., Hall of Pride, 330 Park St., Des Moines
- Sibley Library, 406 Ninth St., Sibley, time and date to be announced
The book follows the Elses on their journey through Iowa to photograph more than 230 abandoned or repurposed high school buildings. For All the Small Schools was called by Senator Chuck Grassley “a labor of love that will spark fond memories for many Iowans who will enjoy reminiscing with friends and sharing stories with their kids and grandkids.” Click here to read more praise for the book.
Can’t make it to any of these events? Click here to purchase For All the Small Schools.
If you’re interested in the subject, check out the Lost Schools project, a special report by the Des Moines Register on school district consolidation in Iowa. Many of the photos used in this project were taken by Barb and Dave Else and also appear in For All the Small Schools.